Saturday, January 1, 2011

2011: A Prelude to Danger Year

It's 2011 people.  Time to look back on a successful 2010, and prepare to embark on fresh adventures.  Everyone makes resolutions at the beginning of a new year, and I'm no different.  In fact, I'm not even exceptionally creative with my choices, and they really don't change much year over year.  But I still think that setting goals is important, so here they are.

Travel More:  I actually did a fair amount of travelling this year.  Megan and I made two trips to Canada.  Ice climbing in March and rock climbing with Aaron and Steph in August. 

Nipigon In Winter and Nipigon in Summer

 

We spent two weeks on the road in March and April climbing through New Mexico and Texas, topped off with a week of decadent relaxation on a cruise ship.  


Hueco Tanks, TX and Somewhere in the Caribbean

 And finally our Thanksgiving road trip to Vedauwoo, WY, Castleton, UT, and Shelf Road, CO with Aaron and Steph.


Castleton Tower













Red River Gorge, KY





These were interspersed with many weekend trips to local crags, plus a weekend in The Red, and when the dust finally settled, I had climbed outside 34 days in 2010. Not too shabby, but let's see if we can make it 100 in 2011!







Get in Better Shape:  2010 was the year of the bicycle.  I finally started riding Karl's road bike to the point where I had to buy a set of bibs.  If he comes home from japan soon, I'm going to have to buy my own bike too.....

I was looking to average 200 miles per month, and sadly never made it there.  But once this snow melts, I'm going to be ready to crush miles.  I'm keeping  my goal at 200 miles per month, but hopefully that number will be revised upward quickly.  I picked up some sweet new cross country skis yesterday for Megan and I, so we can start working towards some goals.  And maybe my cardio will get to a point this winter that I can raise that number before ever even getting in the saddle.  In related news, I will likely be peer pressured into buying a mountain bike this spring, too. 

Weights have always been my downfall.  I've just never really been interested.  But it's time to suck it up, find a plan and stick to it.  I think I found a good  plan to use as a base in Outside Magazine specific to mountain fitness.  I'll modify it a little and possibly mix in some exercises from Mountain Athlete.
  
Obsession
Climb Some Cool Stuff:  This is the main goal for 2011.  But the first two goals are required to make it possible.  Cool stuff included on the list for a perfect 2011: Obsession this winter, The Grand Teton in June, Hallet Peak in the summer, Mt. Robson in August, Castleton Tower in the fall.  That would be an awesome year!  And everything on the list is entirely achievable given consistent regimented effort towards first getting in shape, and then going to amazing places.  As my cousin Dale likes to say, "Adventure On!"

No comments:

Post a Comment