Saturday, January 15, 2011

Stubbed Toes

Have you ever stubbed your toe running up some stairs?  Negative thinking is like stubbing the toe of your objective.  So while it is impossible to think that you will never again stub your toe as long as you shall live, it is also impossible to think that there will be days where you don't feel like working out.  I was about to start this post, "It's only the beginning of January, and I'm already slacking on my resolutions...."  But I realize that is way too pessimistic!  Sticking to long term goals can be difficult.  There is almost never any immediate gratification early in the process which provides a very discouraging environment.  Negative thoughts run rampant.  "What am I doing this for?"  "This SUCKS!"  "I can just do it tomorrow, right?"  I have given up on thinking I can make the negative thoughts stop.  What dictates the fate of the Outside Training Program that I have been using, and ultimately the success of my mountain adventures is how I deal with those thoughts. 

I think I'm doing alright so far, far exceeding the cardio exercise output required of the Outside Training Program.  The only problem has been the weigh lifting.  I knew that it would be from the start.  So far, I have only done one of the four required strength training regimens.  The only one that I did was the first one, and it was a bit ridiculous.  I don't have a weight set, so some improvisation was required.  I filled my backpack with every jug of fluid that I could find in my house/garage and used that!  And it really sucked!  Tossing that oddly shaped, severely unbalanced pack around was nearly impossible to do without doing some sort of damage, so I had to give it up.  And what's the big deal?  I haven't done the prescribed exercises from the program, but I have gone ice climbing and have climbed on Aaron's wall to compensate for the strength days.  So now I need to make a decision on whether to buy a set of dumb bells or to simply start going the extra mile when I'm climbing in the garage and in the great outdoors. 

So far, I have been able to do a good job of beating back the negativity.  And to be honest, it has been pretty rewarding.  My X-Country ski adventures around Chanhassen have allowed me to discover a ton of my surroundings that I didn't know existed.  So maybe it will be a matter of time before the negativity disappears.  And while it is a good thing to have it in the back of my mind that I can be doing more, I also need to recognize destructive thoughts when they start creeping in so they can be squashed before doing damage to progress. 

No comments:

Post a Comment